Residence Life: FAQs

When and how do I register for housing each semester?
Each Spring we have a Housing Selection Process that will secure your housing for the following academic year. Please keep your eyes open for information regarding Housing Selection Process! Once this process is complete and you are interested in making changes, please contact your Resident Director.
What if I want to change rooms after classes begin?
Room assignments are a year-long contract. However, we understand that things may come up. If you are interested in making changes, please contact your Resident Director. Room changes can be made as space is available. We recommend that you speak with your current roommates to inform them of your intentions. Changing rooms or halls without proper authorization may result in disciplinary action and being moved back to the assigned room.
What if I require a handicapped room?
If you are an entering student, please mark that on your housing application. If you are a current student, please talk to the Director of Residence Life, and we can work with you to find the best accommodation.
Am I required to purchase a meal plan?
Yes. All traditional undergraduate students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. Depending on which hall you live in, a variety of meal plan choices will be available to you. Flex dollars may be used at Sub Connection and Jazzman’s. Flex dollars roll over from Fall to Spring semester but not from Spring to Fall semester. The meals are used in the cafeteria. Please see below for a list of meal plans available to students for the 2015-2016 academic year:
2015-2016 Academic Year Meal Plan Options Cost
Full Meal (19 meals/wk) with $100 Flex $1872
14 Meal with $100 Flex $1711
10 Meal with $150 Flex $1648
5 Meal with $250 Flex $1432
Centennial/Fry Hall residents may choose from the Full Meal or 14 Meal plans. Mabee, Ornelas and UA residents may choose from any of the above mentioned plans.
What if I want to change my meal plan?
If you are interested in making changes to your meal plan, request forms are available in the Student Affairs office. Changes may be made during the first two weeks of the semester.
When is the cafeteria, Sub Connection and Jazzman's open?
Cafeteria: Breakfast- Monday – Friday, 7am-9am Lunch- Monday – Friday, 11am-2pm Dinner- Monday – Friday, 5-8pm Saturday and Sunday hours- 10am-2pm and 5-8pm Jazzman’s: Monday – Thursday, 7:30am-10pm Friday, 7:30am-7pm Sub Connection: Monday – Thursday, 11am-2pm and 4-8pm Friday 11am-2pm and 4-7pm.
Will my room be checked for cleanliness?
You will have monthly Health and Wellness Checks. The purpose of these checks is to monitor maintenance and safety issues along with overall cleanliness. Remember that you live in community, and it is respectful to keep your space clean!
What if I have a maintenance issue in my room?
Email your Resident Director as soon as you realize something is wrong! We have a great Physical Facilities department who are always ready to fix anything. If it is an emergency, contact the Resident Assistant on duty. If your request has not been completed within a reasonable time, please resubmit.
If there was damage done to my room, who will be charged?
You and/or your roommates will be charged for damage done to your room. The most important thing you can do is let your Resident Director know when the damage takes place. When you move in, you will review a Room Inventory Form. On this sheet, you can mark down any damages that have previously occurred in your space. When you move out, a Resident Assistant will work with you to fill out the form again and document any damages that have occurred since you moved in.
What if my property is damaged or stolen in the residence hall?
Please contact your Resident Assistant or Resident Director immediately. Personal Property Loss forms are available with your Resident Director. Your Resident Director will walk you through the rest of the process and contact Campus Security. If desired, you may also contact Marshall PD to file a report.
Will friends of the opposite gender be allowed to visit my room?
Absolutely! We encourage you to become friends with everyone on campus. We do, however, have specific times when visitation for the opposite gender is allowed. Visitation is from 6:00pm to 10:00pm for Centennial and Fry and 6:00pm-Midnight for Ornelas, Mabee and University Apartments. Students must bring their guest in and out through the main lobby of the residence hall to sign him/her in and out. For more information on policies regarding visitation, check out the ETBU Student Handbook and signs posted in your Residence Hall.
Is there a curfew?
Will I be able to live on campus during the holidays?
Residence Halls will be closed during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. However, if you need to stay in Marshall for work or have extenuating circumstances, Residency Request Packets will be available before each break. More information will be provided closer to each of these break times.
Are there quiet hours in the residence halls?
Courtesy hours are 24/7, but we specifically implement quiet hours form 10:00pm-7:00am. Quiet hours will be observed 24/7 during final exams.
May I have a pet on campus?
Only small aquatic pets are allowed in campus housing limited to fish, turtles, and hermit crabs. These pets must be kept in a 3-gallon aquarium (or smaller, limit one per room), except the common areas at Fry, Mabee, Ornelas and University Apartments where a 5-gallon aquarium may be used. Please refer to the ETBU Student Handbook.
How can I decorate my room?
Be creative! The only stipulations we have are as follows: 3M Command Strips, and Sticky Tack. Room decorations must adhere to the policies of ETBU and not violate the dress code, display sexual content, express racial bigotry, and/or feature alcohol/drugs/tobacco/weapons.
As a returning student, when do I move into my hall?
Returning students may move in during the following times: August 21, 2015: 1pm-4pm August 22, 2015: 1pm-4pm August 23, 2015: 1pm-4pm If you cannot move in during one of these specific times, please contact your Resident Director as soon as you can to make further arrangements.
What do I need to do if I am not returning to ETBU for the following semester?
We will be so sad to see you go, but if you are graduating or planning on leaving ETBU, the best thing to do is tell your Resident Director as soon as you know. Whether you are leaving mid-semester or at the end of the semester, you must follow check out procedures thoroughly.