Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice
I hold a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from Sam Houston State University and have over eight years experience with the Texas Youth Commission both as a correctional officer and administrator. As the director of the criminal justice program at ETBU, I am dedicated to not only preparing students for careers in criminal justice, but also to enter into a mission field that is in desperate need for Christian men and women. My research interests include juvenile justice and delinquency, restorative justice, and capital punishment.
"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. (Psalm 82:3-4)"
Education/Degrees/Years of attainment:
- Ph.D. 2010 Criminal Justice. Sam Houston State University. Dissertation: Family Time Behind Bars: The effect of visitation on institutional misconduct and recidivism among juveniles.
- M.S. 2006 Criminal Justice. Tarleton State University.
- B.S. 2004 Criminal Justice. Tarleton State University.
Recent Scholarly activity (presentations, publications, etc.):
- Zhang, Y., Day, G., & Cao, L. (2011). A partial test of Agnew's general theory of delinquency. Crime and Delinquency, in press.
- Day, G. (n.d.). Effect of inmate visitation on recidivism among juvenile offenders. Manuscript in preparation for submission to Journal of Knowledge and Best Practices in Juvenile Justice and Psychology.
- Day, G., & Joo, H. (2012). Effects of inmate visitation on institutional misconduct in Korean prisons. Manuscript under review by The Prison Journal (being considered for special edition).
- Day, G. (2012). Pennsylvania System. In J. Albanese (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice Wiley-Blackwell. Manuscript under review.
- SWACJ, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS), American Society of Criminology (ASC), Community College Criminal Justice Educators of Texas, and Texas Association of Criminal Justice Educators.
- Chair of SWACJ Audit Committee
- Elected Secretary-Treasurer of Texas Association of Criminal Justice Educators
- Served on ACJS Juvenile Justice Section Awards Subcommittee.
- Member of the Central Baptist Church (CBC) Sanctuary Choir; performed in the choir during the Christmas presentation of Home for Christmas and in the annual Roosevelt Washington concert.
- Member of CBC’s Small Group and recently selected to chair the Rules and Bylaws Committee. Director of CBC’s “Adult 5/6” Sunday School class.
- Engaged in volunteer work through Marshall Hospice and Homecare by leading a weekly Bible study at Reunion Inn and calling bingo on alternate Fridays at Oakwood Home