The ETBU Debate Team travels to 7-8 debate tournaments during the year. We are part of the International Public Debate Association. The ETBU Debate Team was reactivated in 2008 after many years of inactivity. In only a short period of time, the debate team has become one of the most vibrant and fastest-growing student organizations on campus. The team has won numerous regional and national championships. Some highlights of the 2012-2013 year were:
- Heather DeVille and Cole Franklin won national championships as top speakers in the Varsity and Professional Divisions at the 2013 IPDA National Championship Tournament.
- Heather DeVille was a semifinalsit in the Varsity Division at the 2013 IPDA National Championship Tournament.
- ETBU finished the season ranked 4th nationally in the Professional Division of the IPDA.
- ETBU finished the season ranked 9th nationally out of over 90 universities competing in the IPDA.
- The team traveled to the Oregon State University Debate Tournament where Heather DeVille and Dakota Hiltzman placed first and second in the Extemporaneous Speaking competition, Heather DeVille was a gold medalist in IPDA Varsity Debate and Tania Albuja was a Silver medalist and 4th place speaker in IPDA Novice Debate
- The team hosted the first intercollegiate debate tournament ever held on the ETBU campus.
- The team is open to any student regardless of major. No prior experience is necessary. If you are interested in learning more about the ETBU Debate Team, contact Dr. Cole Franklin at 903-923-2288 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org