The following are some tips on how to have a successful interview. Remember that 70% of a successful interview occurs before you walk in the office for the interview. You must prepare by doing your research, rehearsing and making sure you are dressed appropriately.
1. Know yourself-understand your strengths, weaknesses, goals and motivations.
2. Research, Research, and then research some more on the industry and company- days before the interview (not the night before).
3. Practice your interview with a friend or in the mirror. Anticipate questions and your answers.
4. Dress appropriately, be on-time, and remember the interview starts with the receptionist.
5. The interviewer will most likely base his decision on your fit for the job in the first 5 minutes. Make a good first impression then follow through. Remember he has already seen your resume and thinks you are qualified for the position based on education and experience.
6. Be confident, firm handshake, look at the interviewer, do not ramble. The interviewer is looking for good communication skills, confidence and evidence that you are sincerely interested in the company and position.
7. When answering questions, maintain eye contact and give positive and thoughtful responses that are directly related and pertinent to the question asked.
8. Focus on what you can contribute to the company, not just on what the company can do for you.
9. Ask questions that indicate that you have researched the company and are interested in helping make it successful.
10. Restate your interest in the position and ask when he anticipates a decision will be made on the position. Close with a firm handshake and express appreciation for the interviewer’s time.
THE NEXT DAY SEND A FOLLOW-UP THANK YOU LETTER OR EMAIL
(You did get his business card didn’t you)
If you really want to prepare for an interview and are willing to spend some time doing so, go to either or both of these links and get more in-depth information.